Re: Showing the points on a surface about a circle in the plane

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74871] Re: Showing the points on a surface about a circle in the plane
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 06:14:22 -0400 (EDT)

ahallam at iastate.edu wrote:
> What I would like to do with Plot3D and ParametricPlot3D is show a
> surface in three dimensions, a circle in the plane and the points on
> the surface above the circle.  This is what I have in mind where I
> have a square in the plane.  I simply don't know of a way to handle
> the circle.  If there were am ImplicitPlot3D, I can think so some
> options.
>
> I am not sure how to send code so that it is readable so I am simply
> pasting as is.
[snip]

You should use the *InputForm*  when copying an expression from a
Mathematica notebook to an email client. To do so, select the cell(s)
you want to include in your email, then within the *Cell* menu select
either *Convert To* or *Display As* and choose *InputForm*. Finally,
copy and paste as usual.

Also, you may be interesting in installing Ingolf Dahl's "SetFaceAndFont
Palette," which, among many other useful things, provides a
"CopyAsInputFormK button, for copying code with formatting removed."

See http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/5752/

Regards,
Jean-Marc

P.S. Here the description of the palette from the web site:

"SetFaceandFont Palette. a Mathematica palette with many functions: Five
font change buttons to common font choices (those used in Help)

Font size buttons, font face buttons, font color buttons and background
color buttons.

Search buttons, for searching the Online Mathematica help, the MathGroup
(and Wiki-webMathematica) and the whole web (including your own desktop,
if you have Google Desktop with Wolfram Notebook Indexer installed).
Just select some words and press the button...

Bracketing buttons to add different brackets around the selection.

A list item duplicator button, which duplicates the selection with a
comma inserted in between. This button can also be used after
interactive choice of points in a plot (See menu item Get Graphics
Coordinates...) or be used to duplicate cells.

A "peel" button to remove brackets (of almost any kind), with the
separate ability to turn cells into text cells with text as TextData. It
eliminates the annoying reformatting when you delete one quote or
bracket and suddenly lose sight of the matching partner.

A rewritten CopyAsInputFormK button, for copying code with formatting
removed. Embedded InvisibleSpace? No problems, it is converted to a
usual visible one,

And if all your spaces have been transformed into multiplication signs,
there is a button for that...

Help function, integrated into the Mathematica help."