Printing Notes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75008] Printing Notes
  • From: Geoff Tims <GeoffTims at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:04:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hey, I've been typing up math notes in Mathematica since it's way better than things like Word with Equation Editor.  My basic style is I'll use a Mathematica "Section" for a new chapter, a "Subsection" for a new section, and "Text" for theorems and definitions and all the rest, that is the actual notes.

I starting printing on some on a Windows machine and it worked alright but it left a bit to be desired.  I later printed on a Linux machine just 'cause I was there and it turned out that it printed just how I wanted without me doing anything (so far as I know).  The problem is, I just tried printing some other notes on the Linux and it didn't print how I wanted, it didn't print like the last notes.  So, my question is, is there a way to get it to print the way I want it to print?

The way I would like it to print is as follows:

Every new chapter (Mathematica "Section") would start on a new page.

New sections (Mathematica "Subsection") do not need to start on a new page, but if all that is going to print is the section title at the end of a page, it'd be nice if it waited until the next page to start that.

No cells get split between pages unless it is absolutely necessary, for example, an extremely long cell that takes up a whole page by itself.  On the notes I just printed, a cell that is not that long split right in half, about 5 lines on the bottom of one page and about 5 on the top of the next.  It wouldn't have been a huge blank space to just wait to print that whole cell on the next page.

Yes, I realize I can manually do this by printing selections and all, but it's a lot of work, especially when I'm printing many pages.  And, the printer I am using prints two sided so I'd have to get one page printed correctly, then stick it back in the printer and have it print the next page correctly.  I prefer the two-sided prints because it keeps my notes thinner and allows for more storage per space.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff