Assign delayed but fixed value

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75168] Assign delayed but fixed value
  • From: zac <replicatorzed at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 04:31:32 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Group!

My target is to define the value of 'var' in terms of the value of
'param'. The problem is that 'param' is introduced later than 'var',
and this time-sequence cannot be changed. However, I would like to
create 'var' such a way that IF 'param' is known, the value of 'var'
should be the same any time it is called.
Example code:

In[1]:=
var = Table[Random[Integer,{0,3}],{param}];
param = 3;

>From In[1]:= Table::iterb : Iterator {param} does not have appropriate
bounds. More...

In[3]:=
var

Out[3]=
{1,1,3}

In[4]:=
var

Out[4]=
{0,3,1}

The Table::iterb message is a secondary matter, as the two 'var'
outputs do not equal, and this is my primary concern. Any idea how to
solve this task? Thanks in advance.

Istvan