Re: Assign delayed but fixed value

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75188] Re: [mg75168] Assign delayed but fixed value
  • From: Carl Woll <carlw at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 00:32:52 -0400 (EDT)

zac wrote:

>Dear Group!
>
>My target is to define the value of 'var' in terms of the value of
>'param'. The problem is that 'param' is introduced later than 'var',
>and this time-sequence cannot be changed. However, I would like to
>create 'var' such a way that IF 'param' is known, the value of 'var'
>should be the same any time it is called.
>Example code:
>
>In[1]:=
>var = Table[Random[Integer,{0,3}],{param}];
>param = 3;
>
>>From In[1]:= Table::iterb : Iterator {param} does not have appropriate
>bounds. More...
>
>In[3]:=
>var
>
>Out[3]=
>{1,1,3}
>
>In[4]:=
>var
>
>Out[4]=
>{0,3,1}
>

>The Table::iterb message is a secondary matter, as the two 'var'
>outputs do not equal, and this is my primary concern. Any idea how to
>solve this task? Thanks in advance.
>
>Istvan

How about:

In[1]:= var := (var = Table[Random[Integer, {0, 3}], {param}]) /;
IntegerQ[param]

In[2]:= var
Out[2]= var

In[3]:= param = 3
Out[3]= 3

In[4]:= var
Out[4]= {1, 2, 1}

In[5]:= var
Out[5]= {1, 2, 1}

Note that the definition of var won't change even if you change the
value of param.

Carl Woll
Wolfram Researc