Re: CrossProduct in Spherical Coordinates

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75317] Re: CrossProduct in Spherical Coordinates
  • From: Roger Bagula <rlbagula at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 05:32:26 -0400 (EDT)

gogoant06 at yahoo.com.hk wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I am really new to mathematica and I have met a damn simple problem.
>
>In[1]:=
><<Calculus`VectorAnalysis`
>
>In[2]:=
>CrossProduct[{1,0,0},{0,1,0},Spherical]
>
>Out[2]=
>{0,0,0}
>
>Why? Isn't the result supposed to be {0,0,1}, even in spherical
>coordinates?
>
>best regards,
>lion

The answer that you are thinking about it wrong:
spherical polar coordinates are { r, theta, phi}
without an r value in the coordinate the output will always be zero.
You need at least an angle and a radius to get any output at all.
Examples:
In[32]:=
CrossProduct[{1,0,1},{1,1,0},Spherical]

Out[32]=