Is Manipulate missing an important feature?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80044] Is Manipulate missing an important feature?
  • From: Mariusz Jankowski <mjankowski at usm.maine.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 02:10:39 -0400 (EDT)

This is a general question about Manipulate and the Paste Snapshot
control. Like many of you I have been enjoying the new interactive
features. However, I am missing a feature that would easily allow for
returning the result of the interaction. Why doesn't Paste Snapshot
return the manipulated expression in the form we see it in the
Manipulate window? Here is a simple example:

Manipulate[Expand[(a + b)^n], {n, {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5}}]

Once I select the desired value of n (=3) I see the expanded expression,
however after selecting Paste Snapshot I get:

DynamicModule[{n = 3}, Expand[(a + b)^n]]

Can someone explain why this was the chosen implementation? Why not the
actual result, or even the original expression and rules for the values
of the control variables?

Thanks for any comments about this, Mariusz