Re: hardware for Mathematica 6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80029] Re: hardware for Mathematica 6.0
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 02:02:52 -0400 (EDT)

I recently bought a new computer and one problem I ran into was the 32-bit
vs. 64-bit operating system question. It is very difficult to buy a PC (from
Dell or HP say) that will come with a 64-bit operating system - even though
you specify a 64-bit CPU. One might, or might not be able to install a
64-bit operating system yourself but then you may lose all software
warranty. (I got the 32-bit Vista Home Premium OS.)

>From what little information I was able to glean, 64-bit Mathematica is not
necessarily faster than 32-bit. It mainly buys you the ability to directly
address larger memory spaces. Most Mathematica applications will work fine
with the 32-bit version. In any case, most users may want to clear up this
question both with respect to their need for a 64-bit OS and what a PC
supplier is actually going to supply before they plunk down their money.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/