Re: Question about EventHandler - missing documentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80034] Re: [mg79989] Question about EventHandler - missing documentation
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 02:05:27 -0400 (EDT)

This sort of thing is, and more or less always has been, a shortcoming
with the Mathematica documentation -- the lack of complete information
about admissible values.

It think the Version 6 reference pages for named objects do a better job
at this than was done in earlier version, namely, in the initial
specification of syntax and the More Information section that follows
it.  But still, as for earlier versions, in many cases the totality of
admissible values is only suggested, through the examples. At least we
often have more examples than before, with their neat division into
Basic Examples, Scope, Options, etc.

I can see at least three reasons for why complete specifications for
admissible values are not available:  (1) it would be a herculean
undertaking; (2) the docs would become unmanageably huge; (3) for the
newest functionalities, there has not been sufficient time to do it.

I can imagine how unhappy many of us would have been had the release of
Mathematica 6 been delayed for many more months while such "complete"
documentation was completed.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305