Re: hardware for Mathematica 6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80095] Re: hardware for Mathematica 6.0
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 07:21:12 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/10/07 at 1:51 AM, cardon at math.byu.edu (David Cardon) wrote:

>I'm about to purchase a new computer and good performance with
>Mathematica 6.0 is my main priority.  Can anyone prioritize which
>hardware components (dual-core, quad-core, graphics cards, etc) are
>likely to give the most "bang for the buck" when it comes to dynamic
>graphics, number crunching, symbolic computation, etc ?

>I can spend up to about $4000.  I was planning on using Windows XP.

Why restrict yourself to Windows of any variety? For your budget
you can get a new Mac which will have an Intel processor capable
of running Mathematica 6 at least as well as a Windows based PC
setup you can get for the same budget. And if you really like
Windows XP better than  Mac OS X, you can always load Windows on
your new Mac and forget that it is a Mac entirely. However, as a
long time Mac user (as will as long time Mathematica user) the
idea of wanting to run Windows XP on a new Mac instead of Mac OS
X seems utterly unfathomable to me.