Is there a way to rewrite Roots[#n] result in easier to read form?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80315] Is there a way to rewrite Roots[#n] result in easier to read form?
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 01:52:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hello;
This is Mathematica 6.01

Is there a way to make the output of the following DSolve more readable? It
contains lots of Root[] with #n in it.

Remove["Global`*"]
ode11 = Derivative[1][y][x] -
     1/Sqrt[Subscript[a, 4]*x^4 + Subscript[a, 3]*x^3 +
        Subscript[a, 2]*x^2 + Subscript[a, 1]*x + Subscript[a, 0]] ==
    0;
DSolve[ode11, y[x], x]

here is a pic of the output:

http://12000.org/tmp/081507/output.PNG

I understand what #'s are for, but was wondering if the output can be
written using more 'traditional' form so it will easier to read? i.e having
the polynomial whose Roots are being called for, to be explicitly written
out or something along those lines?...I tried Simplify[].

thanks,
Nasser