  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg80536] ExportString[NumberForm@5,"MathML","Semantics"->False]
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 02:50:13 -0400 (EDT)

The option in the command in the subject is being ignored. I wasn't
going to report this because I have kinda been forced to distance
myself from MathML in Mathematica, but I figured it was the right
thing to do.

Here is the output from the command:
<math xmlns=''>

   <annotation-xml encoding='MathML-Content'>

    <cn type='integer'>5</cn>

  <annotation encoding='Mathematica'>TagBox[InterpretationBox[&quot;\&quot;5\&quot;&quot;,
5, Rule[Editable, False]], NumberForm]</annotation>

P.S. The listing of options in the documentation for importing and
exporting MathML is incomplete. Check

P.P.S. As mentioned in other bug reports, the <ms> tag is wrong. This
is caused by a problem with MakeBoxes and NumberForm generating too
many string quotations. Kinda like DisplayForm:

(*has the extra string quotation problem (should be equivalent to 3rd
example, but isn't)*)

(*same problem here*)

(*doesn't have the extra string quotation problem*)

Version 6.0.1 on Windows XP SP2