Re: file functions & FrontEnd`FileName

In[1]:=
file=FrontEnd`FileName[{$RootDirectory,"Users","dreiss","Desktop"},
    "DirectoryExtension.nb"]

Out[1]=
FrontEnd`FileName[{$RootDirectory,Users,dreiss,Desktop},DirectoryExtension.nb]

In[2]:=
DirectoryName[file]

Out[2]=
DirectoryName[
  FrontEnd`FileName[{$RootDirectory,Users,dreiss,Desktop},
    DirectoryExtension.nb]]

In[3]:=
Unprotect[DirectoryName]

Out[3]=
{}

In[4]:=
DirectoryName[z_?
(Head[#]===FrontEnd`FileName&)]:=DirectoryName[ToFileName[z]]

In[5]:=
Protect[DirectoryName]

Out[5]=
{DirectoryName}

In[6]:=
DirectoryName[file]

Out[6]=
/Users/dreiss/Desktop/

--David
A WorkLife FrameWork version 1.1 is now available at

http://www.scientificarts.com/worklife