Re: Re: Re: Remote Kernel does nothing

On Feb 3, 2007, at 2:48 AM, T.Sariyski wrote:

> I still get an obscure "Low-level MathLink error: The linkname was
> missing or not in the proper form." error when try to connect to a
> remote kernel (client is WinXP/i386, server is SuSe10.1/x86_64,
> same LAN, no firewalls, no passwords).
> Arguments to MLOpen
> -LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkOptions MLDontInteract
> -LinkName "3500"  -LinkHost
> string to launch kernel :
> ssh  tsariysk at  '"math" -mathlink -LinkMode Connect
> -LinkProtocol TCP -LinkName "3500"  -LinkHost'

Ted, your setup is mixing two different link protocols.  You are
mixing TCP and TCPIP.  The TCP link protocol is a deprecated protocol
and should not be used.  In any case it will certainly not work with
TCPIP.  Change the string to launch the kernel to:

ssh tsariysk at '"math" -mathlink -LinkMode Connect
-LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName "3500" -LinkHost'

Assuming there are no other problems on the network this change
should fix your problem.

Steve Wilson
Wolfram Research, Inc.