Re: How can a dump file with 1.28MB have nothing in it?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72556] Re: How can a dump file with 1.28MB have nothing in it?
  • From: "doesitinmud" <harderm at onid.orst.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 04:52:31 -0500 (EST)

David, et al.,
   I think the answer to my own question is that even an empty dump
file will contain >1MB.  What probably happened was that I attempted to
save to the dump file from a notebook with an empty or no kernel.  I
use dump files because I'm doing what might be called exploratory data
analysis.  The methods I developed seem to be like no others in the
statistics and chemometrics packages I know of.  Since these methods
are new, they can't be encapsulated in a program.  Perhaps a package of
functions would help somewhat, but I still have long, experimental
sessions in which the data are transformed and manipulated in all
manner of ways to find an acceptable problem solution. The problem is
not so much procedures that number crunch for a long time, although
that happens sometimes, but an evolving process in which it is most
convenient to keep intermediate results of all sorts available in the
kernel for examination and re-use.  Hence the use of Dump files to
store a snapshot of data and variables in process.  As long as I'm
working this way, I need to be more disciplined about saving final
results and frequently "backing up" via DumpSave.  Also, I am now
DumpSaving to 2 different file names per session.  If you have any
ideas for a better strategy to do my kinds of problems, I would be glad
to hear them.  Thanks for the response so far.