How to remove Dot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72754] How to remove Dot?
  • From: "zac" <replicatorzed at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 05:18:17 -0500 (EST)

Dear Group,

Consider the following code:

{1, 2}.{4, 5}
Dot[{1, 2}, {4, 5}]
Unprotect[System`Dot];
Remove[System`Dot];
{1, 2}.{4, 5}
Dot[{1, 2}, {4, 5}]

On my system (Mathematica 5.2) the symbol "Dot" is extensively removed,
however the "." operator still works and cannot be suppressed to make a
vector product. How should I solve this situation?
Furthermore, entering "\[Dot]" does not result in the "." character, as
eg. "\[CenterDot]" would do.
Is the dot character protected on some higher level?

Istvan Zachar