Re: how to quickly read a >10MB big file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72823] Re: [mg72807] how to quickly read a >10MB big file
  • From: Gerry Flanagan <flanagan at materials-sciences.com>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 05:41:35 -0500 (EST)

Depends on what you're doing with the file. I've found that the Import
function is as fast as my Fortran. It's so fast for parsing numbers,
that I've written functions that read a big file, remove all the
extraneous lines of text, rewrite to disk, then Import as a table.
That's much faster than anything I can write that parses line-by-line.
G. Flanagan