Re: eps exports with dashes in them (important - to me, anyway)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72992] Re: eps exports with dashes in them (important - to me, anyway)
  • From: "ragfield" <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 06:57:52 -0500 (EST)

On Jan 26, 5:22 am, "Chris Chiasson" <c... at chiasson.name> wrote:
> If I issue the this command,
>
> Export["C:\\windows.eps",Sqrt[21/x]]
>
> , with a fresh kernel on Mathematica 5.2 in Windows. I get an output that looks like:
>
> (use gsview and scroll down to see it)
>
> http://test.chris.chiasson.name/Mathematica/windows.eps
>
> This is ridiculous.
>
> I have no idea why Mathematica is behaving this way. It did this once
> before, in a more limited fashon. I made a thread about it here:
>
> (this next url needs to be all on one line to load)
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_...
>
> At the end of the thread, Bruce Miller essentially said, "There are
> problems and we're working on them."
>
> My Windows computer did not exhibit the problem for a long time
> thereafter, but it started again a few days ago - and this time the
> problem is much worse. I have tried a lot of different things to get
> Mathematica to produce normal output, including completely
> reinstalling my operating system and Mathematica from scratch.
> However, this hasn't helped.
>
> I don't have the problem on my Linux computer, but it has other
> problems that prevent me from using it for production.
>
> Any help you give is appreciated. Thank you.

Have you installed or removed any fonts (or applications which may
contain fonts) that may have caused the change in behavior?  You can
alter the appearance by explicitly specifying "FontType"->"Outline":

Export["~/Desktop/test.eps", StyleBox[ToBoxes@Sqrt[21/x],
   PrivateFontOptions -> {"FontType" -> "Outline"}]]

This problem will be fixed in a future release of Mathematica.

-Rob
Wolfram Research