uninformative header/footer when print Doc Center pages in 6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78517] uninformative header/footer when print Doc Center pages in 6
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 05:37:28 -0400 (EDT)

There's one very annoying feature I've found when you print pages from
the version 6 Documentation Center: The header and footer don't tell you
the topic you're printing.

For example, if you print the Introduction to Dynamic tutorial, you'll
get a header

   Printed from: Wolfram Mathematica - Complete Documentation | #

(where # is the page number) and a footer giving copyright information.

The same thing is true if you print, say, the reference page on Plot.

This gets really annoying once you've collected printouts on a number of
topics.

Presumably one could use the File>Printing Settings>Headers and Footers
menu item to manually set a header to give the topic or title, but why
should this hassle be necessary?

I realize that there must be some folks at WRI who simply don't believe
in printing to and reading from, paper.  But for the rest of us, the
result ought to be more useful than it is now.

So I strong urge that items printed from the Documentation Center
automatically provide the topic/title in the header (or at least the
header on odd- or even-numbered pages).

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305