Re: Show and PlotRange

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78499] Re: Show and PlotRange
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 05:28:09 -0400 (EDT)

dh wrote:
> Hi Helen,
>
> you can have an init.m File in the directory: $UserBaseDirectory. The
> changes will then only be visible by the corresponding user.
> hope this hepls, Daniel

The students are not going to go around editing an init.m file on a
computer they are using in, say, the library, or even on their own
laptop. If I put something in the init.m file on the computers in the
classroom, then Mathematica doesn't behave the same way for them when
they are using a computer somewhere else, which leads to all sorts of
confusion. It's better to get the students in the habit of always
including PlotRange->Automatic when they use Show, so that they will do
it consistently.

My point, though, was that I don't like this change with Show, and I was
wondering if anyone else *does* like it. That is, do you think it is
better to have Show by default use the PlotRange from the first plot
listed? I have so far never wanted it to behave that way, and would like
the default to be PlotRange->Automatic, with an *option* one could set
to use the PlotRange form the first plot.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont