Rotable Graphics and ViewPoint

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78418] Rotable Graphics and ViewPoint
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 03:46:53 -0400 (EDT)

First of all, I love the ability in 6.0 to grab 3D graphics and spin
them around with the mouse. However, it would be nice if there were a
more obvious way to return to the original ViewPoint and ViewVertical
settings. Re-executing the graphic doesn't do it. I just now discovered
that deleting the output cell before re-executing *does* return the
graphic to the original ViewPoint / ViewVertical, but this (to me)
wasn't an obvious thing to do. (I've had 6.0 for a good six or eight
weeks, and I just now thought of it. Up until now I had been copying the
input into a new cell and executing the new one, which I found a bit
annoying.) OK, deleting the output before re-executing does work, but
it's an extra step that I don't think should be necessary.

Also, after rotating a graphic with the mouse, it would be nice to have
an easy way to save a copy of the input for the graphic with the current
ViewPoint (and ViewVertical) settings. Right now the only way I can see
to extract the ViewPoint (and ViewVertical) is to open up the output
cell (Shft-Ctrl-E), scroll all the way to the end, copy the ViewPoint
and ViewVertical, close up the cell, and paste the ViewPoint and
ViewVertical into my input. This isn't something I'd ever suggest to my
students.

So here's what I would really like.

1. Re-executing a 3D graphic would return it to the original ViewPoint
and ViewVertical settings.

2. An easy way to make a copy of a graphic with the current ViewPoint
and ViewVertical settings pasted into the input, sort of like the way
Paste Snapshot works for Manipulate, so that I can delete all output
before quitting, come back later and recreate the graphic in the state
that I had it.

(With regard to #2, my students have limited storage space on the
network, and it also makes the files smaller for passing them around via
e-mail or web if we can save them with output deleted.)

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont