Re: Opening a foreign file from Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78862] Re: Opening a foreign file from Mathematica
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 06:15:40 -0400 (EDT)

Steve,

I am not sure that I completely understand the question here, but let
me phrase a question, answer it, and perhaps it will give you an
answer.   Or you can rephrase things so that we can go through an
iteration [contact me off-group if you want to].

So here's a question.  I have a notebook, and within it I want to
place a function that I can execute to open a file that is on some
known path **relative** to that notebook's path.  And I want this
function to work if I copy the notebook and the file to somewhere else
but maintain their directory relationship.

Let's say that the notebook is in some directory that has as its full
file path, dir, and that the file, which I will call "foo.other", is
in a subdirectory, "subdir", of dir.  (Of course dir is a  string.)

Given this, the full filepath to "foo.other"  is

ToFileName[{dir, "subdir"}, "foo.other"]

The remaining question is then how do we find out what dir is (I
assume that we know what the name "subdir" is, but there are ways of
discovering that as well--I will comment on that below).

Within the notebook (assuming that it is saved on disk--this will not
make sense if it doesn't exist on disk of course)  if I execute the
following I will get the value of dir

dir = DirectoryName[ToFileName["FileName" /. NotebookInformation[]]]

So, the path to the file "foo.other" is now

filepath =
 ToFileName[{DirectoryName[ToFileName["FileName" /.
NotebookInformation[]]],
   "subdir"}, "foo.other"]

There is one further little bit that is needed to make the approach
that I am outlining cross-platform.  The function that one would now
use to open the file in its default application would be
NotebookLocate[{URL[fileLink], None}].  However,  how the value of
fileLink (which I haven't specified yet) is built from the value of
filepath depends on the operating system that you are using.  If it is
Windows then fileLink = filepath; if it is MacOS X, then it is
fileLink = "file://" <> filepath.  I believe that this is true for
other Unix systems as well.  (This is one of the things that is done
inside of the function OpenFileOrDirectory in "A WorkLIfeFrameWork").

So, finally, if I execute (I put this in a Module, only to show the
different pieces of the code nicely)

Catch@Module[{filepath, fileLink},

  dir = DirectoryName[ToFileName["FileName" /.
NotebookInformation[]]];

  filepath = ToFileName[{dir, "another"}, "example.txt"];

  Which[

   StringMatchQ[$System, "Mac OS X*"],
   fileLink = "file://" <> filepath,

   StringMatchQ[$System, "Microsoft Windows*"],
   fileLink = filepath,

   StringMatchQ[$System, "Linux" | "Unix"],
   fileLink = "file://" <> filepath,

   True,
   Throw[$Failed]

   ];

  NotebookLocate[{URL[fileLink], None}]

  ]

then this will open up the file "foo.other" in its default
application.

A couple of comments.

One: if "foo.other" is in a directory that contains dir then we'd have
to shuffle this code around a bit

Two: if we know that "foo.other" is in a subdirectory of dir, but
don't know which subdirectory it is in, we could "discover" where it
is (assuming that there is only one "foo.other") by looking at the
output of

FileNames[{ToFileName["*", "foo.other"]} {dir}, n]

where n is some sensible modest value.

So, to summarize, aside from the cross platform detail dealt with by
the Which statement above, the key thing in all of this is to (1) find
out where the notebook that this is executed is by suing
NotebookInformation, (2) to use commands to create a file path using
ToFileName, and (3) to use NotebookLocate in the form
NotebookLocate[{URL[fileLink], None}]

I hope that this helps...

--David
A WorkLife FrameWork
E x t e n d i n g MATHEMATICA's  Reach...
http://scientificarts.com/worklife
Compatible with Mathematica 6