math -mathlink, ssh ...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79064] math -mathlink, ssh ...
  • From: anguzman at ing.uchile.cl
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 03:26:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hello:

In Linux I can execute  "math -mathlink". Of course, it has no
practical purpose to do it from the shell, but this is how I execute
remote kernels  via ssh:

LinkLaunch["ssh remotehost -l user math -mathlink"]

And I get a mathlink connection to an external Kernel in the remote host.

Unfortunately, I've tried to do this from Windows-to-Windows  machines
(using OpenSSH) and it doesn't work..
I've noticed that the order "math -mathlink" doesn't seem to work on
Windows, or at least in my case, it says something like:

"  LinkOpen::linke Message text not found --(mode unavailable)
    ---Termina graphics initialized----         "

And I get prompted for a normal mathematica session from the command line.
Why this happens? Could this be related to my failure in Launching
remote kernels via ssh on Windows?
By the way, launching remote kernels from the menu in the front end
(using th Kernel Configuration Options... )  has never worked for me,
from Windows or Linux.

Thanks in advance.

Atte. Andres Guzman