Re: UnTableForming a TableFormed Table?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79057] Re: UnTableForming a TableFormed Table?
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 03:23:00 -0400 (EDT)

AES wrote:
> Suppose you create a "source" table in Table form:
>
>   myTableS = Table[ ----- ],

I am not sure to have understood what you mean by "a 'source' table in
Table form," since after evaluation myTableS is a list with head *List*.
So the "Table form", whatever that means, stay in this form only  as
long as the expression has not been evaluated (or some *Hold...*
attribute is used).

> then create a "formatted" version of it, with TableForm options added:

What you format is a /list/. You can format it as a table, a matrix, or
a grid for instance.

>   myTableF = TableForm[ TableS, {tableheadings, tablepacings, etc} ]
>
> Is there any _simple_ way to "UnTableForm" the formatted table to get
> back to the unformatted source table?
>
>    myTableS  ??=??  UnTableForm[ myTableF ]

I may not have understood at all what you want, but the untable thing
could be achieve with a *Case* function, as in the following example.

myTableS = {{a, b}, {c, d}, {e, f}}
myTableF = TableForm[myTableS, TableHeadings ->
        {{"r1", "r2", "r3"}, None}]
First[Cases[myTableF, myTableS]]

HTH,
Jean-Marc