Re: Quantum Commutator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79143] Re: Quantum Commutator
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 03:40:21 -0400 (EDT)

jrc wrote:
> Hello all you advanced Mathematica programmers,
>
> Has anyone built a generalized (i.e., works with any type
> of arguments) 'commutator' as in Quantum Physics:
>
>    Commutator[A,B,psi]:= Aop on Bop on psi - Bop on Aop on psi
>
> It is easy to build a specific kind, like [x,px]psi; it would
> seem there should be a way to generalize this with all the
> functions like 'apply','map', etc etc. I've tried, but I'm
> a real novice at 'programming' Mathematica. I use v6 soon 6.01.
>
> Thanks for any comments.
>
> Dick Chaffer
> Bozeman, MT

The following package might be of interest:

_Quantum Algebra_, by César Augusto Guerra Gutiérrez, available at
http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4898/

According to MathSource, "Quantum Algebra is a package to perform
Quantum Calculations using non commutative algebra. For this purpose we
added Dirac notations for Bras, Kets, Brakets, and Commutators, were
implemented together with proper definitions to perform non commutative
"products" with them. The motivation for building this package was to
perform long calculations that appear in Quantum Optics and Quantum theory."

In addition, the following threads might be worth checking

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/74d4cbcd49c796c8/aaa0a19f90d6a08a?lnk=gst&q=quantum+commutator&rnum=2#aaa0a19f90d6a08a

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/b414f86942a9b288/f3c7534cfe2c0bdf?lnk=gst&q=quantum+commutator&rnum=1#f3c7534cfe2c0bdf

Hope this helps,
Jean-Marc