Re: Re: Re: Re: annoying documentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79180] Re: [mg79138] Re: [mg79087] Re: [mg79068] Re: annoying documentation
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 03:30:27 -0400 (EDT)

Of course the Mathematica interpreter is itself the ultimate authority
for how Mathematica behaves.

As I indicated, the huge table in question is not new to Mathematica 6;
it was in the reference section of The Mathematica Book.  And despite
its length, I did at times find it handy for clarifying precedence issues.

The main issue remains: the hyperlinked network constituting the
Mathematica 6 documentation -- which without question has high utility
-- still suffers two limitations:

(1) It mixes examples, applications, "neat examples", tutorials, etc.,
with reference material.

(2) It does not supply a linearly organized, or simple spiral path,
through an introduction to Mathematica.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305