Re: Mathematica to .NET compiler

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79213] Re: [mg79171] Mathematica to .NET compiler
  • From: Jon Harrop <jon at ffconsultancy.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:26:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Friday 20 July 2007 09:58:08 you wrote:
> What would be the advantages of such a compiler over (say) MathF90 (or
> MathC++ if you're so inclined) at http://www.mathcore.com/ ?

Interoperability with existing .NET libraries (XML, web services, Windows
Forms etc.) and (probably) support for a much larger subset of Mathematica
due to the inheritance of an efficient run-time and garbage collector
from .NET.

I could give more details but some links on the MathCore site are broken:

  http://www.mathcore.com/products/mathcode/mathcodec++_subset.pdf
  http://www.mathcore.com/products/mathcode/mathcodef90_subset.pdf

so I cannot tell what subset of Mathematica they support.

> Is .NET portable to other OS's?

There is an open-source port of .NET to Linux and Mac OS X called Mono.
However, it would probably be easier to target a high-performance functional
language native to Linux and Mac OS X, like OCaml.

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?e