Re: Plot without Show

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79243] Re: Plot without Show
  • From: Philipp <kitschen at romandie.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:41:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hello
Thanks to all who answered my original question!

Just to respond to D.S.A

> MathGroup is the propper place for asking questions
> about Mathematica.
> But why don't you spend a little more time with the
> Help Broswer?
> The benefits will be many...
> You can learn a program without reading its help
> (the more the better!)

I think this a bit unfair. I do _always_ spend time searching help files and googling to get answers to my question before posting to a public forum.

But mathematica's help browser is also not making it easy to find the things you are looking for.

You are basically telling me I should have looked up DisplayFunction in the help file. But this supposes that I knew that the magic word is DisplayFunction.

The help file for Plot does not mention it (oh yes it's listed with the 30 other options as a result of Options[Plot]). The corresponding book section 1.9.1 does not mention it. Show's help mentions that "The option DisplayFunction determines the actual output mechanism used." which basically doesn't give a clue what it means. It also says "Functions like Plot automatically apply Show to the graphics expressions they generate. "

Well, you can tell that I got that far because my subject was "Plot without Show".

That you have to call Show to not show something did not cross my mind, I must admit.

Best regards