New graphics primitive: "Curve"?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79248] New graphics primitive: "Curve"?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 04:18:48 -0400 (EDT)

I'd like to create named graphics elements ["curves"] that would contain
the graphic content of just a single curve in a Plot or ParametricPlot
(no axes or anything else, just the data curve), and that could then be
displayed as graphics elements like pseudo primitives, e.g.

   curveA = Graphics[<some coding>]
   curveB = Graphics[<more coding>]
   Show[curveA, curveB, <other graphics stuff>]

What might be preferred ways to do this?

I suppose one way would be to make a Plot or ParametricPlot with
everything but the function curve suppressed?

   curveA = Plot[f, range, <options to suppress Axes, etc>]

Or, is there a way to pull just the curve out of a plot?

   curveA = Part[Plot[], i]   ????

(and if so, is that Part a graphic element already?  Or must it then be
wrapped in Graphics[]?)

Or, generate a Line or a Polygon with lots of points?  (Sounds
inefficient)

Or, what other approaches might be easy, fast, and efficient?

[Thanks for any ideas.  I've been reading Section 2.10, "The Structure
of Graphics" in The Mathematica Book 5.2, but it's hard going.]

[And P.S. -- Are there any good reasons to choose between wrapping each
individual graphics element in Graphics[] as above and then Show-ing
them using the syntax at the top of this msg, or alternatively leaving
the individual named elements unwrapped and using instead

   Show[Graphics[{ curveA, curveB, <other stuff> }]]

]