Re: Heat transfer -- possible in mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79286] Re: Heat transfer -- possible in mathematica?
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 03:48:17 -0400 (EDT)

meaton01 wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm attempting to solve a 2-dimensional, transient heat transfer calculation (rectangular slab) with uniform generation.  Is this (relatively easily?) possible in mathematica, or should I simply resort to trying to program a finite element solution to the problem?  Additionally, if anyone knows of a notebook already constructed, I'd love to see it.
>
> Thanks!
> Mike

Assuming you have already set up your equations and boundary conditions,
it will be easy to write them in Mathematica form, then use *NDSolve* to
get a solution. See tutorial/NDSolveOverview in the documentation center
for more info. (Also available online at
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/NDSolveOverview.html)

Regards,
Jean-Marc