Re: CVS vs. SVN with Workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79557] Re: CVS vs. SVN with Workbench
  • From: Albert <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 00:12:03 -0400 (EDT)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> For versioning control in Workbench 1.1 (under Windows), with local
> repositories only, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using CVS as
> compared with Subversion?

there are of course various aspects to this question. In my opinion,
there is one big plus for subversion, which is that it can handle
directories (renaming) better than cvs. Another advantage could be that
   the concept of making tags and branches is somewhat simpler to
understand for people that start to use a version control system the
first time, since it is more like what they probably did before (make a
'backup' copy). Other than that I don't think the differences are too
big for a casual user with local repositories...

hth,

albert