How do you set up third party (or your own) packages?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79607] How do you set up third party (or your own) packages?
  • From: Daniel Flatin <dflatin at are_sea_en.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:05:58 -0400 (EDT)

I am asking this question in all humility on the theory that there is
no stupid question in this forum. My apologies if this is not the case:

How do I use third party packages, or my own for that matter? For a
specific case, I have downloaded some files from mathworld.wolfram.com
and the set of version 6 MathWorldPackages. I want to load
PlaneGeometry.m which in turn has a dependency on
KimberlingCoordinates.m. In my effort to successfully execute the line:

<< MathWorld`PlaneGeometry

I have tried putting selected packages in
~/Libraries/Mathematica/Applications. I have tried modifying $Path using

AppendTo[$Path, =E2=80=A8 ToFileName[{$HomeDirectory, "Documents",
"MathematicaFiles", "MathWorld", =E2=80=A8   "MathWorldPackages"}]]

Neither solution works. The only thing that has proven to work is using
Get[] with the full path name to the file, but this isn't the standard
approach. What doesn't seem to be working for me is adding the
appropriate path to the list of search paths Mathematica uses,
presumably $Path.

Thanks in advance,
Dan