Re: v6: still no multiple undo?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77464] Re: v6: still no multiple undo?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 05:37:10 -0400 (EDT)

David Reiss wrote:
> The minimal approach to Undos is part of the reason why I created the
> notebook backup and tracking functionality that I include in A
> WorkLife FrameWork (shameless plug!).   It is sort of a mini CVS in
> Mathematica.
>
> I do think though that Undo is tricky in Mathematica.  One reason is
> that some of what one does and might want to undo can be **very**
> large.  Another is the question of what one means by Undo and redo.
> Does this include evaluations?  Does it include formatting changes?
> And so on.  I suspect that the question is rather more complex than
> what one might have to deal with in a simple text editor or word
> processor.  But, on the other hand, I am sure that some cleverness
> could be brought to bear on this...
>
> --David
>
> http://scientificarts.com/worklife
> Now Mathematica 6 compatible
>

> On Jun 7, 3:54 am, Selwyn Hollis <sh2.7... at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Ah, that's at the top of my gripes list too. I'm pretty sure that
>> Undo is even less functional in 6 than in 5.2.
>>
>> Another shortcoming is the lack of AutoSave or AutoBackup capability.
>> It's too easy to lose track of time, crash, and then discover that
>> you haven't saved anything in 2 hours. (Or maybe its just dementia on
>> my part.) I've created a little palette of my own with an AutoSave
>> function that saves the InputNotebook[] every few minutes. That works
>> pretty well, and if anyone would like to test it, let me know. I've
>> made an attempt at an AutoBackup function, but I don't know how to
>> make it sufficiently non-intrusive.
>>
>> -- Selwyn
>>
>> On Jun 6, 2007, at 6:43 AM, Will Robertson wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I am baffled that technical software is released in 2007 with only a
>>> single undo level. Am I missing something here? Is it because I'm
>>> using a student license? How hard can an undo stack really be in the
>>> notebook interface?
>>> I've been irritated a few times in v5.2 from clumsy keypresses losing
>>> me work that I would expect to be two "undo"s away. Alas not. Still.
>>> Will Robertson

A multi-level undo that let you go back to the last evaluation would be
a step forward. Alternatively, a multi-level undo that ignored generated
cells might be a possibility - after all, it is usually (but not always)
the input that is really valuable, the output can be regenerated.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk