Re: Normally Distributed Random Matrix

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg77592] Re: Normally Distributed Random Matrix
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:40:25 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/12/07 at 1:24 AM, amitsoni.1984 at wrote:

>I want to create a normally distributed random matrix in
>Mathematica. I'm using the following code in Mathematica 5.2:

>------------- code ----------------------------- <<
>Statistics`NormalDistribution` n = 500; A =
>RandomArray[NormalDistribution[], {n, n}]

>But it is not working even though it worked when I did it earlier on
>Linux. When I enter A it just gives:

The code above should not have worked as written on any OS
running version 5.2 of Mathematica. If you look at the syntax
for the NormalDistribution function you will see it needs to be
told the mean and standard deviation. That is the correct code
would be

n = 500;
A = RandomArray[NormalDistribution[0,1], {n, n}]

for generating random normal deviates with mean = 0 and standard
deviation = 1