Re: Mathematica 6.0 not running in Fedora 7?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg77823] Re: Mathematica 6.0 not running in Fedora 7?
  • From: Pavel Pokorny <Pavel.Pokorny at>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:19:15 -0400 (EDT)

Szabolcs <szhorvat at> wrote:
> Pavel Pokorny wrote:
> > Dear Mathematica friends
> >
> > after installing Mathematica 6.0 in Fedora 7 (x86_64bit)
> > I get the following error message when trying to run it:
> >
> > [root@localhost mma]# math
> > /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/6.0/SystemFiles/Kernel/Binaries/Linux-x86-64/MathKernel: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > but I have
> > /usr/lib64/ ->
> > /usr/lib/ ->
> >
> > Is it safe to make a symlink form to
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >

> A quick google search turned up a FAQ [1] that says that they are
> incompatible so you need to install libstdc++ 5 separately.

> [1]

Yes, this is right.
I tried to copy to but then Mathematica 6.0 complains:
MathKernel: version 'GLIBCPP_3.2.2' not found.

Unfortunately, the page sais:
libstdc++-v3 is developed and released as part of GCC,
separate snapshots are no longer made available.
Who wants to install the whole old gcc?

So I had to "steal" from RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
(for the same architecture, x86_64 in my case)
where you can find both and
and then Mathematica 6.0 runs O.K.

A message to Wolfram developers:
Could you, please, make Mathematica to run with both and

A message to Fedora developers:
Could you, please, add both and to fedora
(like RHEL 5 has).

One more question:
can someone please explain to me why Mathematica 6.0 conflicts with
Security Enhenced Linux?

Pavel Pokorny
Math Dept, Prague Institute of Chemical Technology