Re: No O Reilly Mathematica Cookbook

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg74565] Re: No O Reilly Mathematica Cookbook
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 02:09:07 -0500 (EST)

siewsk at wrote:
> Everyone,
>   I feel stupid posting what is basically newbie questions on
> comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica.
>   So I decided to purchase a O'Reilly    Mathematica Cookbook.
>   To my big surprise, there is none.
>   Shouldn't there is a Cookbook for Mathematica to stop people from
> asking the same questions over and over again?
I think the 'problem' is that Mathematica is so powerful that everyone
has a different newbie question! Also, a lot of newbie questions boil
down to omitting a comma, using the wrong kind of brackets, using an
underscore in a variable name - things that would be very hard to index
in a book because by definition, the user does not know that is what his
problem is!

Experimenting with some of the examples from the Mathematica book is the
best way to learn.

David Bailey