Shorctcut for typing \[LeftDoubleBracket]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75670] Shorctcut for typing \[LeftDoubleBracket]
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 05:53:44 -0400 (EDT)

I hope that someone will find the following useful:

Typing \[LeftDoubleBracket] as <esc>[[<esc> is very tedious, and using
[[ is not very readable.

Recently I found out that it is possible to customize Mathematica's
keyboard shortcuts, so we can assign \[LeftDoubleBracket] to CTRL-[.

WARNING: I don't know if this breaks anything. It worked for me on
Windows, but if you know that it might break something, (or if you know
another way of typing \[LeftDoubleBracket]), please let me know.

This is what you have to do to assign \[LeftDoubleBracket] to CTRL-[ and
\[RightDoubleBracket] to CTRL-] (AFAIK CTRL-[ and CTRL-] have no
function in Mathematica):

Find the file
Mathematica\5.2\SystemFiles\FrontEnd\TextResources\KeyEventTranslations.tr
and BACK IT UP. Find the line
EventTranslations[{
in this file and add the following two lines right after it:

Item[KeyEvent["[", Modifiers -> {Control}],
FrontEndExecute[{FrontEnd`NotebookWrite[FrontEnd`SelectedNotebook[],
"\[LeftDoubleBracket]", After]}]],

Item[KeyEvent["]", Modifiers -> {Control}],
FrontEndExecute[{FrontEnd`NotebookWrite[FrontEnd`SelectedNotebook[],
"\[RightDoubleBracket]", After]}]],

This solution is based on
http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/unix/interface/brackets.en.html