Re: Re: How to get sqrt(Year^2)===Year?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg75812] Re: [mg75769] Re: How to get sqrt(Year^2)===Year?
- From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
- Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 05:25:22 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Mathematics & Statistics, Univ. of Mass./Amherst
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <200705100912.FAA08020@smc.vnet.net>
- Reply-to: murray at math.umass.edu
"Full" in FullSimplify is unnecessary, and Element[Year, Reals] is
Jens-Peer Kuska wrote:
> FullSimplify[Year == (Year^2)^(1/2), Element[Year, Reals] && Year > 0]
> gives True
> Hatto von Aquitanien wrote:
>> If I have some expression which takes the square root of a square, it
>> evaluates leaving the whole square root expression unchanged.
>> Year == (Year^2)^(1/2)
>> just returns what I entered when evaluated.
>> Year == Year
>> evaluates to True.
>> How do I persuade Mathematica to evaluate the first expression completely?
Murray Eisenberg murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2859 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305
Prev by Date:
Re: Making sense of Directive[ ]
Next by Date:
Re: DSolve with DiracDelta
Previous by thread:
Re: How to get sqrt(Year^2)===Year?
Next by thread:
Re: Re: Re: How to get sqrt(Year^2)===Year?