Re: Can one retain ver 5.1 if downloading ver 6.0?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75816] Re: Can one retain ver 5.1 if downloading ver 6.0?
  • From: rob <josh2499 at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 05:27:31 -0400 (EDT)

Bill Rowe wrote:
> On 5/9/07 at 4:42 AM, josh2499 at hotmail.com (rob) wrote:
>

>>I'm tempted to buy the 6.0 update but can't seem to find out whether
>>I can retain the old ver 5.1 if I do that.
>

>>I've got hundreds of notebooks that run on 5.1 and I can't afford
>>some of them not running under 6.0. Anyone know? Thanks.
>

> There shouldn't be any issue. I currently have both version 5.2
> and version 6 installed on this machine. The only thing I've
> needed to do is modify my init.m file so that it things I
> normally used that are no longer needed with 6 only get loaded
> when using 5.2.
>
> --
> To reply via email subtract one hundred and four

Sir, thanks for responding. I've been looking thru init.m
files and I'm wondering what sort of things you had to
change. In my search thru HELP on init.m files, it just
mentions things like loading packages.

I presume that if/when I load V6 I will be allowed the
choice to install it in a separate directory -- seems like
when I went from V4 to V5 I wasn't given the chance -- or I
just missed it. In any case V4 evaporated which I was trying
to prevent.
Regards, Rob