Re: Can one retain ver 5.1 if downloading ver 6.0?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75867] Re: Can one retain ver 5.1 if downloading ver 6.0?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 03:08:06 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/11/07 at 5:27 AM, josh2499 at hotmail.com (rob) wrote:

>Bill Rowe wrote:

>>I currently have both version 5.2 and version 6 installed on this
>>machine. The only thing I've needed to do is modify my init.m file so
>>that it things I normally used that are no longer needed with 6 only
>>get loaded when using 5.2.

>Sir, thanks for responding. I've been looking thru init.m files and
>I'm wondering what sort of things you had to change.

I used an If statement so that the older legacy packages I want
loaded when I use version 5.2 don't get loaded when I use
version 6. I did something similar for the NotebookDirectory[]
function I had defined for my use with version 5.2

>In my search thru HELP on init.m files, it just mentions things like

Any valid Mathematica operation can be put in the init.m file.
Additions are not just restricted to loading other packages.

>I presume that if/when I load V6 I will be allowed the choice to
>install it in a separate directory

This was not an issue for me under Mac OS X. I assume
installation under other operating systems avoids overwriting an
existing installation.