Re: How to get sqrt(Year^2)===Year?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75909] Re: How to get sqrt(Year^2)===Year?
  • From: Hatto von Aquitanien <abbot at AugiaDives.hre>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 05:45:21 -0400 (EDT)

dh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> a square root has actually two values but by choosing a branch cut, the
>
> function is made unique.

Kronecker was right.

> Therefore, the Sqrt of a real number is by definition positive.

Hu?  Do you mean the square root of a positive number is by definition real?

> Therefore, Sqrt[x^2] is not equal to x if x<0.

Wait for the coffee to kick in before you post.

> However, if you tell Mathematica that Year is positive you will get what
> you
>
> want. E.g.
>
> Simplify[x==Sqrt[x^2],x>0]
>
> hope this helps, Daniel

Well, it helps in this circumstance.  I believe Convert will do the same,
but I'm not sure if it works in all circumstances.  I do wish there were
some way for Mathematica to know that something such as a physical constant
is real and positive.  Perhaps doing that under all circumstances would
turn into a major performance hit, but it would be nice in circumstances in
which it is inappropriate to consider cases of x < 0, or x not real in
Sqrt[x].

--
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ek5w_wtc7-the-smoking-gun-of-911-updated
http://911research.wtc7.net