Re: v. 6, third argument to rectangle

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg75937] Re: v. 6, third argument to rectangle
  • From: rip pelletier <bitbucket at>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 05:59:44 -0400 (EDT)

In article <f23oii$mvm$1 at>,
 Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at> wrote:

> It's true that it works, but the fact that it works seems to be now
> undocumented. Mathematica 5.2 documentation states:
> "In Rectangle[{a, a}, {a, a}, graphics], graphics can be any graphics
> object."
> but there does not seem to be any such statement in 6.0 (?)
> Andrzej Kozlowski
> > rip pelletier wrote:
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> thru 5.2 we could display, for example, 2 graphs side-by-side by
> >> using a
> >> third argument to Rectangle, the name of a graphics object.
> >>
> >> 6.0 tells me that i cannot call Rectangle with 3 arguments. (true, it
> >> was a bit of a kludge, and in principle i approve of it going away,
> >> but....)
> >>
> >> what is the replacement?
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >>    rip

well, thanks. your answer makes it clear that i have some debugging to
do. i didn't post because the documentation changed; i posted because i
got the error message

"Rectangle called with 3 arguments; 1 or 2 arguments are expected."

somehow it must not mean what it says.

i also see that i forgot to say i am using a macintosh, OS X 10.4.9.

since i was using dave park's drawgraphics package, i need to construct
an example without the package. i'll get to it. given a choice between
being productive or crawling thru shattered notebooks, i think i'll keep
working for a while.

NB eddress is r i p 1 AT c o m c a s t DOT n e t