Re: 64-bit

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76552] Re: 64-bit
  • From: "Brian Gladman" <brg at nowhere.org>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 05:51:48 -0400 (EDT)

"Al" <aajacksoniv at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:f313di$o76$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> On May 20, 1:16 am, "Brian Gladman" <b... at nowhere.org> wrote:
>> "Al" <aajackso... at gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:f2k0co$e4u$1 at smc.vnet.net...
>>
>> > Anyone loaded Mathematica onto the 64 bit version of Vista?
>> > I am having trouble finding a major vendor who will sell me a machine
>> > with 64 bit Vista as the OS.
>>
>> I am running Mathematica v6 on the x64 version of Windows Vista Ultimate
>> without any problems. The machine is an AMD Athlon 64 X2.
>>
>> I also find that most 64-bit machines are still being sold with a 32-bit
>> OS.
>> But a couple of major suppliers do offer the 64-bit OS as an option.
>>
>>     Brian Gladman
>
> Did you build this machine? I am finding that getting an off the shelf
> machine with Vista 64 is no so easy, tho I have not pressed it. I
> don't want to try installing it since I have heard about problems with
> 64-bit drivers and would rather have an experienced person do it.

I had it built for me built for me with Windows XP x64. But I then
reformatted the disc and installed Vista Ultimate x64 myself.

I have a lot of peripherals on this machine and, like you, I worried about
driver problems.  But it went very well with only two minor (for me) driver
issues - Vista won't recognise the on board game port or the midi port.  But
it was tested with a 64-bit OS before using Vista x64 so its not a good test
of a 32 to 64-bit upgrade.  As I have mentioned elsewhere, Dell will install
Vista x64 Ultimate on its business notebooks (here in the UK at least).

    Brian Gladman