Re: Mathematica 6.0 easier for me ... (small review)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76726] Re: Mathematica 6.0 easier for me ... (small review)
  • From: Helen Read <read at math.uvm.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 04:39:36 -0400 (EDT)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> Helen Read wrote:
>> Another little thing: I'd like the ability to set a different color
>> scheme (perhaps a user defined color scheme) to be used for plots. I
>> find that if I plot two functions together without setting a PlotStyle
>> that the blue and purply colors Mathematica uses are a bit difficult to
>> distinguish. I'd like the first two colors to be say, blue and red.
>
> Blue and Red do distinguish the graphs more clearly.  But the default
> colors are, to my eye and on my monitor, more pleasing in combination.
> Aesthetics vs. functionality!

Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder, of course. I like the
convenience of automatic coloring without having to set a PlotStyle, I'd
just like to control what colors will be used. I haven't tried it yet
(I'm not teaching this part of the summer), but I strongly suspect that
the default colors will not be easily distinguishable on the overhead
projectors in our classrooms. I normally have to use carefully selected,
bright colors to get good contrast on the projectors.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont