Re: Mathematica 6.0 easier for me ... (small review)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76854] Re: Mathematica 6.0 easier for me ... (small review)
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 01:13:20 -0400 (EDT)

Helen Read wrote:
> Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>> Helen Read wrote:
>>> Another little thing: I'd like the ability to set a different color
>>> scheme (perhaps a user defined color scheme) to be used for plots. I
>>> find that if I plot two functions together without setting a PlotStyle
>>> that the blue and purply colors Mathematica uses are a bit difficult to
>>> distinguish. I'd like the first two colors to be say, blue and red.
>> Blue and Red do distinguish the graphs more clearly.  But the default
>> colors are, to my eye and on my monitor, more pleasing in combination.
>> Aesthetics vs. functionality!
>
> Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder, of course. I like the
> convenience of automatic coloring without having to set a PlotStyle, I'd
> just like to control what colors will be used. I haven't tried it yet
> (I'm not teaching this part of the summer), but I strongly suspect that
> the default colors will not be easily distinguishable on the overhead
> projectors in our classrooms. I normally have to use carefully selected,
> bright colors to get good contrast on the projectors.
>
> --
> Helen Read
> University of Vermont

I too find the default colours very pleasing. But it seems that you
*can* set a default PlotStyle (but you have to set it separately for
every plotting function).

Plot[] is happy if PlotStyle has more entries than the number of curves
that you are plotting. And if you have more plots than the number of
items in PlotStyle, than the plot styles are used cyclically.

So try
SetOptions[Plot, PlotStyle -> {{Blue}, {Red}, {Green}}]

See how plot styles are cyclically repeated:

Plot[{Sin[x], Cos[x], 1 - Exp[-x], Exp[-x] - 1,
   Sin[x]^2, -Cos[x]^2}, {x, 0, 10}]

I hope this helps.

Szabolcs