Re: $UserBaseDirectory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83086] Re: $UserBaseDirectory
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 03:40:43 -0500 (EST)

thomas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wold like to change the default location of the $UserBaseDirectory.
> All I can find in the documentation and in the forum is that I need to
> set the environmental variable MATHEMATICA_USERBASE upon startup, but
> it doesn't say anywhere how to do that.
>
> What - explicitly -  do I have to do?
>
> Let's say, I want to set $UserBaseDirectory to C:\MyMathDirectory.
>
> If I am successful, do I need to copy the directory structure from the
> old directory to the new one in order for Mathematica to run smoothly
> afterwards?
>
> Windows XP Professional
> Mathematica 6.0.1
>
> Thank you
> Thomas

Thanks for this query - I had not realised (or forgotten!) that you
could change the location of this directory (and also $BaseDirectory).

To set this variable (or change its value) go into control panel and
activate the "System" icon. Select "Advanced" and then "Environment
Variables" (who said GUI interfaces to this stuff was easy :) ). You can
add a per-user variable or a system wide variable. Remember to close
down and restart Mathematica before the changes will come into effect.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk