Re: memory release problem in mathematica6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83202] Re: memory release problem in mathematica6.0
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:30:44 -0500 (EST)

jack wrote:
> Hi all,
> When i define large data structures, for example an array  "A" of
> million  of elements that occupy some  hundreds of MB of physical
> memory,when i clear it, with Clear[A] memory isn' t released by
> operating system. I' ve tried both on windows and linux.
> The result of MemoryInUse[] command of mathematica but the physical
> memory reported by the system monitor isn't released.
> I' ve tried also ClearSystemCache[] but with no result.
> Am i missing something?

On Windows, if you suspect a memory leak, you could clearly identify it
by following the direction of this document:

"Using Performance Monitor to Identify a Pool Leak" available at

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/130926/

Also, note that even if the memory is correctly released by Mathematica,
  the system cache may use the newly available memory so you won't see
the available ram changes (but the system cache must have increase in
this case).

Regards,
--
Jean-Marc