Re: memory release problem in mathematica6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83236] Re: memory release problem in mathematica6.0
  • From: jack <giabernar at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 05:17:09 -0500 (EST)

What i was pointing out ( there is a typo error in my post ) is that
the MemoryInUse[] command of mathematica gives the correct result in
the sense that memory is released but the physical memory not yet. I
understand that memory management of mathematica is different from
that of the Operating System for speed reasons, but i think that
something goes wrong because, as is confirmed by Yaroslav Bulatov in a
successive post, when i clear a symbol ( of many elements, ~300MB )
and a reallocate it three or four times physical memory runs out and
the memory system swaps all the time  ( i' ve 756MB of RAM ) until i
shutdown the kernel.
I' d like to know if there is an explicit way to synchronize the
memory management of mathematica with that of the OS, because i think
that the behavior that i' ve just described must be avoided.

Thanks for your contribute.