Help needed with new Export (v. 6)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83214] Help needed with new Export (v. 6)
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:36:58 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all,

   In v. 5, I used a Mathematica function to import .fig files, do some
manipulation to them, and then export the files again. The only way I could
find to retain the proper formatting of the .fig files was to use the
ConversionOptions option in Export; the relevant part of the code is
something like:

Export[ newFileName,  myNewExpression, "CSV",
ConversionOptions->{"FieldSeparator" -> " "}]

where "CSV" was used because it somehow kept XFig happy with the results, and
the commas are replaced with spaces. "Table" does not work as an export
format, as XFig needs single spaces between most of the exported values.

   It seems that the new version of Mathematica does not like
ConversionOptions, as the Help entry says "As of Version 6.0,
ConversionOptions is superseded by capabilities in Import and Export."
   However, I can't figure out what new capabilities might replace my old
behavior. Is there a quick way to fix my old function, or am I going to have
to go through the stream operation tango?

                Thanks,
                             C.O.
Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov