DataRange

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83491] DataRange
  • From: thomas <thomas.muench at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 03:02:29 -0500 (EST)

Hello Mathgroup,

I use ListLinePlot to plot some data that has been downsampled. In
order to get the original time-range of the data represented correctly
on the x-axis, I use DataRange->{1,Length-of-original-data}, which
works just beautifully.

Now imagine I want to plot 2 sets of data with different original
length, both have been downsampled. As far as I know, I cannot use the
DataRange option anymore, because it will equally apply to both
curves, therefore either stretching or compressing one curve relative
to the other.

Example:
data1 = Range[5];(*imagine original length is 50*)
data2 = .5 Range[10];(*imagine original length is 100*)
ListLinePlot[{data1, data2}, Frame -> True, AspectRatio -> Full,
 PlotLabel -> "Correct relative scale of data"]
ListLinePlot[{data1, data2}, DataRange -> {1, 50}, Frame -> True,
 AspectRatio -> Full, PlotLabel -> "data2 is compressed"]
ListLinePlot[{data1, data2}, DataRange -> {1, 100}, Frame -> True,
 AspectRatio -> Full, PlotLabel -> "data1 is streched"]

Is there an easy way to do this, short of creating specific {x,y}-
pairs for each data point in each of the curves?

As a suggestion to WRI I would propose that one should be able to give
multiple inputs to DataRange, to handle these issues, similar to way
the option PlotStyle->...handles the directives given to it.

thomas