Re: File reading and writing within for loop

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg83693] Re: File reading and writing within for loop
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 05:39:28 -0500 (EST)

> Suppose I have 50 files like following names, in_00.dat,
> in_01.dat, in_02.dat, ........
> I want to read all the files, manipulate and save output like
> out_00.dat, out_01.dat, out_02.dat..... within a "for" loop. Could you
> please suggest how to do these ? If you have answer without "for" loop
> is also OK.
Of course there are plenty of possibilities. The following is my first shot:

inputlist = {"in_00.dat", "in_01.dat", "in_02.dat"}

   result = docalculationwithfile[infile];
   outfile = StringReplace[infile, StartOfString ~~ "in_" -> "out_"];
   Export[result, outfile, "Table"];

Of course you will need to provide a function docalculationwithfile
which does whatever you want to do with one file and you also might need
a different approach to write the result to the outfile.